Skip To Main Content


1995 Upper School Groundbreaking
Sacred Heart logos

Founding of the RSCJ

Constitutions of the Society of the Sacred Heart are approved by the first general council of 1815. Later, in 1826, Pope Leo XII formally approved the Constitutions of the Society.

Read More about 1815
St. Madeleine Sophie Barat statue

Mother Mary Ann Hardy opens the first Sacred Heart School in Maryland in September 1871. The school closed by 1873 due to overwhelming hardship in obtaining supplies as the U.S. recovered from the Civil War.

Read More about 1871
Mass ave

In September of 1923, Mother Clara Meigs Sands, RSCJ, opens Sacred Heart School at 1719 Massachusettes Ave. in DC, and becomes the School's first Headmistress through 1931.

Read More about 1923
Painting of Madeline Sophie Barat holding cross.

On May 25, 1925, Madeleine Sophie Barat was canonized a saint. Her feast day is celebrated each year on this day.

Read More about 1925

Mother Agnes Barry, RSCJ, becomes Mother Superior at the convent and begins to look for new grounds for the Sacred Heart School. A venture that faced many challenges and took almost 20 years to come to fruition.


As Mother Sands’ health continued to decline, she retired in 1931 as the school’s headmistress. Mother Mary Margaret Downing took over the School for the next three years.


Silver Jubilees for Mother Sands and beloved nun Ma Mere M. du Plessis de Grenedon are celebrated in February.


Mother Emilie Hickey, RSCJ, becomes Headmistress through 1939.


First Alumnae Association is formed. Mary Catherine Mundell Coffey, class of 1934, was elected the Association’s first president.

Photo of the Pope with tabard.

Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli, who later became Pope Pius XII, visits the Washington, DC Sacred Heart School on October 22.

Read More about 1936

In 1939, Mother Hickey RSCJ, Mistress General, was transferred from Washington. Mother Eleanor Kenny, RSCJ, became the Headmistress of the school as well as the convent’s Mother Superior for the next year until a new Headmistress could be found.


The school entered its third decade at 1719 Massachusetts Avenue with a new Headmistress, Mother Elizabeth White, RSCJ.


Permission to purchase Stone Ridge estate granted from the Bishop of Baltimore and Washington.


First Christmas Bazaar is a huge success, even more successful than other fundraisers to date. Doll Pageant and Tableaux with Tea events are eclipsed.

Photo of Archbishop Patrick O'Boyle blessing new wing.

Archbishop Patrick O'Boyle blesses the new wing in April. The wing is eventually completed in September separating the Junior School into Lower and Middle Schools.

Read More about 1949

Mother Mary Elizabeth Tobin, RSCJ, becomes Mistress General through 1957. Mother Tobin is fondly remembered by the alumnae as someone who possessed a unique sense of style and the rare ability to make all feel “at home.”


The Ridgean, first school newspaper, is established.


First school Horse Show fundraiser is held at DeFranceaux family farm raising $1878.


Anniversary Memorial Mass held for late President John F. Kennedy; Jackie Kennedy sends letter of gratitude.


Stone Ridge students appear on the television show It's Academic for the first time. They win second place in the competition.


On November 18, students line the driveway waving white handkerchiefs as Mother Barry leaves Stone Ridge. Mother Benoist is named Superior.


Stone Ridge Choir sings at Robert F. Kennedy funeral.


The Ridgean becomes the Here and Now newsprint publication.


Black Student Union is formed.


Lacrosse team is formed.


Twenty Upper School students ushered at the historic Papal Mass on the Mall with Pope John Paul II.

Painting of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne crossing the Atlantic on a boat.

Rose Philippine Duchesne is canonized on July 3. St. Philippine is celebrated at the National Shrine on November 17, Stone Ridge’s new Junior Children’s Choir sang during the celebration Mass.

Read More about 1988

Here and Now publication wins second place in Quill & Scroll Award—an international honorary society for secondary school journalists.


The new academic building takes shape.


Bishop Alvare Corrada del Rio blesses new wing of Upper School academic building.

Barat Award Medal Logo

Barat Medal awarded for first time. Mass of the Holy Spirit in October celebrated 75 years of Sacred Heart education in DMV, and 50 years at Stone Ridge campus.

Read More about 1997
Prayer Grotto with Mater Statue on campus.

Sacred Heart Bicentennial celebrations and blessing of Prayer Garden and Grotto dedicated to Mater, “cathedral in the woods.”

Read More about 2000
Columbia Scholastic Press Association Logo

CALLITHUMP, Upper School annual art and literary magazine, wins 2001 Gold Medalist Certificate from Columbia Scholastic Press.

Read More about 2001
Photo of the Academy of the Sacred Heart Rosary in New Orleans.

Stone Ridge hosts 14 students from the Academy of the Sacred Heart in New Orleans who were displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

Read More about 2005
National Spanish Exam logo

Stone Ridge students sweep foreign language awards bringing home 63 medals and certificates from the National Spanish Exam, 13 medals from the State of Maryland for proficiency, and 35, medals in the Le Grand Concours national French contest.

Read More about 2007

Stone Ridge embarked on the first part of this larger effort with the Gators Go Turf Campaign, which created a new turf field and athletic pavilion to support our growing athletics program.

Read More about 2014

Stone Ridge celebrates the 200th Anniversary of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne and her courage to cross frontiers.